TAX SEASON UPDATE…
I wanted to provide a quick update concerning this current tax season, communicating some of the steps we are taking to address the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and how we plan to manage tax preparation engagements in light of the recent change in tax filing deadline to July 15, 2020.
Limiting LobbyTraffic –
- Appointments – We are currently not taking any face-to-face appointments. Please schedule telephone appointments. We can use technology to incorporate video if you need.
- Mail & Deliver – We encourage using the mail and delivery systems when ever possible.
- Pickup & Drop Off Procedures – If you need to pickup or drop off documents, please call the office 208-452-1234 when you pull into the parking area and we will send someone out to meet you.
- Lobby Visits – If you need to come into the lobby, we are limiting this activity to one client at a time. Please look into the lobby before entering and if another client is already here, please wait for your turn. Remember that you can call our office 208-452-1234 and we can send someone out to meet you.
Cleanliness & Health –
- Cleanliness – We are disinfecting surfaces on a regular basis and washing hands often.
- Social Distancing – We are also practicing social distancing and appreciate your help in this.
- Quarantining Documents – Initial studies show that the Coronavirus has a 24 hour surface life on cardboard. When ever possible, we are setting aside documents including payments for a day or two. We recognize that washing hands is more important than quarantine practices and encourage you to wash your hands after handling tax documents as well.
- Health… Ours & Yours – We believe staying healthy and building resilience is an important step in dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak. We have hired additional help this tax season and are putting a higher priority on getting rest, exercising, eating properly, taking health supplements… and keeping the stress levels down. The recent news of a later filing deadline will help this (see below).
New Filing Deadline of July 15, 2020 –
- Federal Deadline – Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced this morning (March 20th) that the federal income tax filing deadline is now July 15.
- State(s) Deadline – I anticipate the states will follow the Federal governments lead and will change their filing deadlines as well. We are watching this closely and will manage things accordingly.
- Your Tax Return – To help maintain our health, we will take advantage of the additional time provided and not push as hard as we have done in the past. We are still working diligently because we know you need your tax returns done as soon as possible. Please allow us an extra week or two to get things finished.
Final Comment –
Some people believe that steps like these are an overreaction. Others may feel like they are not enough. Only in hindsight will we actually know. I personally am choosing not to live in fear, but to do my best to act responsibly. By taking steps, we are doing our part to slow the spread of this disease and possibly saving lives.
I remain strong in my belief that God is sovereign and will see us through this time. Gayle and I daily pray for our family, friends, staff and you… our clients. We are so very grateful for you.
Finally, a special thank you to the brave and courageous medical personnel and others who are stepping into danger to directly fight this thing. We are praying for you as well.
RICK HOWARD, CPA